6 September Pascal Mlamli Macamba reburial September 6, 2017 By Luxole Komani Latest News 0 The City together with the Provincial Department of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture welcomed home the mortal remains of Pascal Mlamli Macamba one of the 13 struggle stalwarts who were forced into exile by the apartheid repression. Macamba was an uMkhonto Wesizwe soldier, born in East London in 1957 and died of Malaria in Angola while in exile when liberation movements were banned in the country and left the country at the country when he was 23 years. According to DSRAC he left after fearing for his life after the then South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and the Ciskei police threaten to jail him for his political persuasions. The body of the late Macamba was exhumed by South African officials and the Angolian government last week in Angola. His remains were returned to East London on Tuesday 5 September. The official Welcoming of the Remains was done at the East London Airport with over 50 delegates including family members of Pascal. Giving a Welcome Address during the event, Acting Portfolio Head for LED Pumla Nazo-Makatala said, “Pascal Macamba will now be named among the many struggle stalwarts who fought a good fight for the freedom of South Africa and it is sad that many of those who were in exile cannot see their hard work today.” MEC for Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture Pemmy Majodina said that the journey of returning Pascal Macamba home has been very emotional for the Province and the family is happy to have the remains of their loved one. “When we got to Angola we realised that there are a lot of MK Veterans that are not marked and it pains us because we won’t be able to do a special ceremony for everyone who left the country during the Apartheid era,” she said. The remains of the political activist are kept in a local mortuary. The official reburial of Pascal Mlamli Macamba will be held on Saturday 9 September at 9am. Comments are closed.